Hello! I'm happy you're taking a little time out of you day to meet our sweet little boy Gavin.
Gavin was born May 1st of this year with a head full of dark hair (thanks to daddy!) & my olive skin tone. Before delivering Gavin I was beyond nervous to be a mother & honestly, was feeling sad that I wouldn't be pregnant any longer. Pregnancy gave me a sense of empowerment. I felt proud to be pregnant, I also felt beautiful (as all women should!)... I would always send belly pictures to my mom & sister (even took a belly pic with my dad -lol-).
Gavin's original due date was April 27th...well that day came & went! At that point my doctor scheduled an induction date, May 1st at 11:30a. It seemed so weird to think that ON May 1st I would have a baby, no more surprises (unless he came before then!).
Before we knew it, May 1st was here! We went to Marshall's restaurant in Grandview for their breakfast buffet...some eggs, a pancake, bread pudding, and bacon later we paid our bill & headed to the hospital. The check in process was quick & smooth, thanks Ohio State!!
About 30 minutes after checking in I was in a gown & lying in the hospital bed! Twelve hours, 35 minutes of pushing & five popsicles later (plus an epidural) Gavin James was welcomed into this world! Keep in mind, Garrison & I didn't know the sex so when Garrison announced it was a boy we both were surprised!!
I could go on & on about pregnancy, delivery, and becoming a new mom but I'll just touch on the things I find most important, interesting, and informative (without seeming like I'm giving advice). Sorry if it is TMI for some of you!
TOP 10 "WHAT in THE HELL" MOMENTS
These are the moments that I didn't know about post baby (& keep in mind, I'm going to be my open self with this info, so excuse anything that you may find offensive or too open!)
1. While breast feeding, always have a burp cloth handy...why? Because your other boob decides to leak & leak a lot & you're bound to be spit up on while burping.
2. Thongs...pretty overrated for the time being.
3. "Point his penis down when putting on his diaper." -Garrison ...moments later I'm being peed on while breast feeding. I now point the penis down!
4. Don't try on bathing suit tops when your boobs are full. You look like a porn star (minus the tiny waist & cellulite-less legs & butt...at least this is my case).
5. Don't leave the house if your pre pregnancy shorts feel just a little snug around the waist. By the time you make it home, after eating, holding your pee, and whatever else they'll magically become 3 sizes too small.
6. Wishful thinking: making a cup of coffee & thinking you'll actually drink it while it's still hot. You may drink it while it's hot, but this is after you've reheated it at least 2 times.
7. Swaddling, it's a type of origami... I swear.
8. During those sleepless nights, it's ok to say every cuss word in the book while pacing the room & rapidly patting your child's butt. There's a reason why THIS book was published.
9. It's ok if your productive day equates to feeding your child multiple times during the day, watching 15 episodes of Homeland, and looking at Instagram at least 20 times before lunch. The house will miraculously clean itself at some point!
10. At least for the first 4-5 weeks you're most fashionable outfit consists of wearing pajama pants & no top while hibernating on the couch. You're welcome neighbors.
top 10 favorite moments & memories...so far
But I easily forget the "what in the hell" moments when I experience moments like these...
1. Holding him in my arms in the mornings while the birds chirp... let's me know that I've made it through another night of being a new mommy.
2. Watching Garrison give Gavin kisses & spend skin to skin time together.
3. Watching him take showers with Garrison. He loves the warm water.
4. His baby grunts. Ever since I heard them for the first time on my chest right after he was born I just can't get enough.
5. Kissing his lips when he's hungry. He wants to suck on mine, as if he's giving me baby kisses.
6. As weird as it is for me, I oddly enjoyed the strong emotions that overwhelmed me at times. Such as, looking at him not wanting him to grow too fast & then realizing I'm balling just thinking about it. He's teaching me a whole new type of love.
7. The love I have for Garrison. It continues to deepen everyday because of Gavin. My mind & heart are at peace knowing I have such a loving husband who's a natural at being a father.
8. When Garrison holds Gavin after a feeding & he just got done changing him & he rips a big poopy fart. All we can ever so is laugh!
9. After breast feeding, Gavin's cute little lips & tongue keep moving as if he's still feeding, his cheek is all red from being pressed against me & his mouth is covered in milk.
10. When Garrison gets home & talks to Gavin he always smiles ear to ear!
Ginormous thank you to kismet visuals for my maternity photos!
huge thank you to Roxanna Sue Photography for our wonderful newborn photos!